Monday, July 28, 2008

WOSENE KOSROF @ Stella Jones Gallery, New Orleans, LA



Ethiopian-born artist Wosene Kosrof, whose usage of his native language of Amharic, is exhibiting his "JUST WORDS" collection at the STELLA JONES GALLERY, August 1-September 28, 2008. For over twenty-five years, Kosrof has created works of art that almost always reflect back to his homeland and their usage of symbols in art as well as life.
Educated at the School of Fine Arts in Addis Ababa (BFA, 1972) and Howard University in Washington, D.C. (MFA, 1980), Kosrof work is represented in museums and galleries in Africa, North America and Europe. "As an artist who worked to move traditions into contemporary art," Wosene states, "I see myself definitely as a representative of contemporary art in Africa....I also see myself as an individual, drawing on my culture, bringing my culture to the wider world...I'm simply trying to examine and interpret my own emotional understandings, my feelings, and my spiritual journey, using the Amharic writing as a base."

If you are in the area or would love to take a trip to view this exhibit (as well as take in the beauty that is New Orleans) I promise that you will take a new perspective of mixing phonetics with contemporary cultures with you. The information is listed below.



"Just Words"
August 1-September 28, 2008

ARTIST RECEPTION
Saturday, August 2, 6:00-9:00 p.m.
(White Linen Night)

STELLA JONES GALLERY
Place St. Charles
201 St. Charles Avenue
New Orleans, LA 70170
(504) 568-9050
www.stellajonesgallery.com

To learn more on Wosene Kosrof, please click here.

No comments: