Sunday, September 21, 2008

Opening Sunday at MOMA - "Van Gogh and the Colors of the Night"



The most anticipated show for me has to this show right here. While working at The High Museum of Art in Atlanta, I had the privilege of working on the van Gogh show a few years back; I was not allowed to touch the actual art work due to insurance purposes but I worked on the lighting and set-up. Its amazing how when you view something in a textbook versus real time it tends to change your whole perspective of the object. I was so nervous looking at this painting and being in the same room that I was moved to tears. Never in my lifetime would I have ever expected to actually work at an institution that would house such for a period of time. MOMA states "Gain new insight into one of the nineteenth century's most influential artists with this unprecedented exhibition on Vincent van Gogh's nocturnal and twilight compositions. The New York Times says Van Gogh and the Colors of the Night "provides a view of the tenderness, urgency, and brilliance at the core of his art, as well as the openness to nature that set it aflame."

This show runs from September 21-January 5, 2009 and tickets can be purchased at:

The Museum of Modern Art
11 West 53 Street
(212) 708-9400
MoMA.org

Picture credit: Vincent van Gogh. The Starry Night over the Rhône. 1888. Oil on canvas. Musée d'Orsay, Paris. Gift of M. and Mme Robert Kahn-Sriber, in memory of M. and Mme Fernand Moch, 1975. © 2008 Réunion des Musées Nationaux/Art Resource, NY. Photo: Hervé Lewandowski

No comments: