Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Art in Motion with NICK CAVE



Background


Education
1989 - MFA, Cranbrook Academy of Art, Bloomfield Hills, MI.
1982 - BFA, Kansas City Art Institute, Kansas City, MO.

Gallery Representation
Jack Shainman Gallery, 513 West 20th Street, New York, NY, 10011

Solo Exhibitions / Projects
2007 - “SOUNDSUITS: Hollaback”, Jacksonville Museum of Modern Art, Jacksonville NC.
2006 - “SOUNDSUITS”, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL.
2006- Jack Shainman Gallery, New York, NY.
2006- Mattress Factory, Pittsburg, PA,
2005 - “Soundsuits”, Manchester Craftsmen’s Guild, Pittsburgh, PA.
2004 - “Soundsuits”, Holter Museum of Art, Helena, MT.
2003 - Hand Workshop Art Center, Richmond, VA.
2002 - Wright Museum, Beloit, MI.
2002- 2001 - Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Fort Wayne, IN.
2002- “AMAIGAMATIONS”, Allentown Art Museum, Allentown PA.
2000 - “ NICK CAVE 2000” Duane Reed Gallery, Chicago, IL.
1999 - “REPARATIONS”, South Bend Museum of Art, South Bend, IN.

Personal statement


My work, clothing and fiber-based sculptures, collages, installations, and performances, explore the use of textiles and clothing as conceptual modes of expression and pose fundamental questions about the human condition in the social and political realm. The Chicago Cultural Center Foundation presented Nick Cave: Soundsuits, a retrospective that included video and live presentations of my signature soundsuits in performance works.

I have an upcoming solo show at Jack Shainman, in New York. I am also staging the largest scale production of my work in collaboration with choreographer Ronald K. Brown, at the Yerba Center for the Arts in San Francisco.

I believe that what happens in my studio and living the life as an artist are the single most important things I bring to the classroom. Artists must design their own pathways, work through plateaus in their work and understand that they will find themselves humbled by the very process of art-making.

I encourage my students to build their work with conviction, come face-to-face with the truth of what they are attempting to create, and to be open
to experimentation.

I have been lucky to have been mentored by talented artists who taught me to challenge myself and build a level of confidence and trust in my creative
judgment. In turn, I hope to provide my students with the knowledge that their art making holds the possibility for acting as a vehicle for change on a
larger, global scale.


Partial Bio courtesy of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago.

No comments: