Thursday, February 7, 2008

Artist Daniel Edwards presents The Oprah Sarcophagus



Artists Daniel Edwards has decided to immortalize our beloved Oprah Winfrey in a gold statue titled The Oprah Sarcophagus. Edwards says "the statue pays homage to the closest thing America has to a living deity," the Chicago Sun-Times said Wednesday.

The sculptor's other celebrity-themed works include "The Birth of Sean Preston," the controversial "Paris Hilton Autopsy" and the memorable Suri Cruise's First Poop, the newspaper also went on to note.

Honestly I dont know how I feel about this one. I'll let you all decide. I dont think Harpo is too happy about this one.

2 comments:

Fred said...

Though I'm all about expression, I don't know if I'm with Mr. Edwards on this one. Calling Oprah a GOD basically? That's a bit much. Mr. Edwards might find himself on the wrong end of the O train and that's not a good look.

Doug Cooper-Spencer said...

Overall the piece on O is beautiful. The tone of the material he used and the rhythm of the lines (hair, vertical lines on her body, etc) really makes it stand out, not to mention the esoteric expression on her face. The body shape? Well, it is the artist's eye isn't it? I see the fullness as very representative of fertility. Thanks for giving us that piece, Tyrus. Doug Cooper-Spencer